Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Peach Turnovers

Nothing real exciting today. Had to get groceries, and I don't know why, but I went to Wal-mart. This always turns into an 'lets buy some other crap I don't need outing'.  And I wonder where all my money goes. Hmm...I also had the always fun and enjoyable laundry night. At least I have enough clothes, that laundry is only once every 1-2 weeks. Depending on the week I have at least.
I did make turnovers though. Turned out pretty well. The peaches were so good.
Quick Puff Pastry
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, chilled and diced
1/2 cup. sour cream
Cut butter into flour until dough is size of small peas. Use fork to mix in sour cream, just until moistened. Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. If you did what I did, its quicker to freeze the dough for 20-30 minutes and then put in refrigerator until ready to use, at least 20-30 minutes more. When ready for it, roll dough on floured surface about 1/8". Use in whatever recipe you want that calls for puff pastry.
Peach Filling
2 1/2 cups sliced peaches (I used fresh, much yummier)
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. minute tapioca
1 dash nutmeg
cinnamon
Place peaches in bowl, and mix in all ingredients, make sure evenly coats the fruit.
Cut circles out, 3-5 inches in diameter (I did 5 inches), with floured biscuit/cookie cutter, making sure to re-flour each time. Place filling in center, don't over do it. Wet edges of pastry down and fold dough over filling, press edges together with your fingers. Use fork tines to press along edges, which makes it decorative and also seals the dough better. In a small bowl, beat 1 egg, plus 1-2 tsp. water. Brush turnovers with egg wash lightly and sprinkle with sugar. Use a fork to make vent openings in pastries, 2-3 times. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or depending on the oven, at least until its golden brown on top, and lightly browned on bottom. Let these cool for a little bit, they will be very hot. Use metal spatula to remove from pan, be careful, they do sometimes stick because of the filling running out of the vents.
Glaze
1 1/2 tbsp. of your favorite tub butter
1/2 capful of almond extra
Mix butter and flavoring together, add a spoonful of powdered sugar to start with and mix well. Add powdered sugar and milk alternately until you reach drizzling consistency. I like mine slightly thicker than thin (that made sense right; this is rhetorical).
Sorry, no pictures tonight. I didn't make them at home this time. Perhaps a cake is next on the menu. I'll keep you informed. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment