Sunday, August 23, 2009

Poppy Seed Tart

So, I did photos of my niece and nephew today. Too bad I only got a few decent shots out of the bunch. But, that's usually the way things work, beautiful day=cranky kids and vice versa.
And it was totally a non-diet weekend. I've been so bad :( After going to the state fair yesterday, which is never healthy eating, and then today I did some cooking, which turns into more of the same thing. But it turned out so good, how can you complain about that??? I made a Sunday dinner for myself, which is not always easy to cook for 1 person.
Today's menu
Tilapia drizzled with olive oil, a little bit of lemon juice, minced garlic, seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
Pan roasted quartered new potatoes, 1/2 inch sliced garden fresh zucchini, sliced onion, minced garlic, fresh pepper, and kosher salt. Then topped with some melted fresh grated Parmesan for the last few minutes of baking.
Honestly, that wasn't the bad part. It's always dessert that kicks yah in the end.
I was in the experimental mood, so I made 1/4 of a Poppy seed tartlette recipe.

Poppy Seed Tart (2 Servings of 4" inch tarts)
5 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. cold butter (real is better)
1/2 beaten egg yolk (I know its wrong, but I don't wanna be right)
2 1/4 tsp. water
1/4 tsp. poppy seeds
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Stir flour and sugar together. Cut in cold butter until pieces are pea-size. In a second bowl, mix egg yolk, water, and poppy seeds.  Gradually stir into flour mixture. Use your fingers to form the dough into a ball. Split into 2 halves. Spray 2 4" tart pans and press the dough into each, evenly on bottom and up the sides.
Prick bottom and sides of tarts with fork several times. Take a rectangular piece of foil, a little over twice the width of the tart pan, and fold in half. Cover each pan with a piece of doubled foil. Bake for 7 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 9-10 minutes or until golden edges on crust. Let cool completely (strongly note) and this is the tricky part, turn out onto a wire rack if your brave. Otherwise fill with desired filling and eat in the tart pan.

And the topping was two-fold. I cooked about 1/4 cup wine with 1/2-3/4 cup frozen blueberries, some splenda to taste and cornstarch to thicken it up over medium heat (for one tart). I also did 6-7 dried apricots cut into quarters and about 1/4 cup water, 2 tsp. apricot preserves, a little bit of splenda, and cornstarch. Sounds decadent right. Dang, i can practically taste it again. And too top it off I whipped up a little bit of heavy cream with some splenda. So good! Of course I had to break one of the tart shells when transferring to the wire rack. Thought i'd be suave and take the shells out of the tart pans and totally split the one in half. Ah well, still tasted good. Til tomorrow. Who knows what'll come next.










Apricot Tart with Whipped Cream, yeah there is probably as much cream as tart. Just the way I like it. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment