Sunday, September 20, 2009

Buttermilk Spice Crisps

Ok, so it was an ambitous weekend. As to why I say this, well...I can't tell you yet. To be announced 5 days from now. I recently joined the Daring Bakers group and just completed my first challenge. But, shhh! it's a secret for the aforementioned time. I hope your excited, because it's awesome! In the meantime I also made 2 types of cookies this weekend. The following crisps being one of them.

Buttermilk Spice Crisps (Taste of Home; Best Loved Cookies & Bars)
Yield 6 dozen
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar (yes I did sub again,  using Splenda Sugar Blend)
1/3 cup buttermilk
4 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
In a large mixing bowl (note the amount of flour, it's going to get messy, so yes a large bowl); cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and buttermilk. In a second bowl; combine flour, baking soda, and the last 4 ingredients. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Shape into 2 9-inch rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap (I used wax paper and then plastic wrap). Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap one cookie log and cut into 1/4-inch slices (should be able to get 36 cookies from each roll; I cut the log in half, and each half cut in half. Divide each 1/4 of dough into 3rds and then 3rds again.) Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

0 comments:

Post a Comment