Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mini Creamy Chocolate Cupcakes

I decided to make cupcakes for my mother's b-day. Easy right? Not so much. I started with a 12 cup regular size muffin tin. And they turned out great, until I went to dump them out. Completely broken in half. So I was about to give up, when it dawned on me...to make something up and hope for the best. For once, it worked.
From this:











To This:











Here is how I did it...
One "Incredibly Moist Chocolate Cupcake" recipe adapted from Nick Malgieri's cookbook "The Modern Baker"
Incredibly Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate,cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 cup boiling water
(I did 3/4 cup boiling water, mixed with 1/4 cup of very strongly brewed coffee)
Coffee brings out the flavor in chocolate, trust me.
1 stick (8Tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. If you are going to go the easy route, please line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners, otherwise try greasing and flouring the cups. In a medium bowl; stir together the sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Put all of the cut-up chocolate in a large mixing bowl. Pour the boiling water over the chocolate and cover with a dish towel. Let stand for 2 minutes, then gently whisk until batter is smooth. Whisk in the melted butter, then whisk in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla flavoring and finally the sour cream.
Whisk in the flour mixture in 3 separate additions. Make sure to mix well after each addition.
Divide the batter among the muffin cups. And yes the batter will reach to almost the top of the cups. Bake the cupcakes for about 20 minutes, or until they are firm to the touch. Another testing method is to insert a toothpick into the center of 1 or 2 cupcakes, and it comes clean. Let the cupcakes cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then invert the pan and unmold the cupcakes. Turn them right side up again and let them cool completely.
I at least should have floured the pans. But oh well, live and learn. At least it led me to a new creative  recipe.
Even when all hope seemed lost. Ding ding, the light bulb went off. I took out a block of cream cheese to soften to room temperature. And after the broken cupcakes cooled, I crumbled them all up in a large bowl. Then I mixed in the cream cheese until well incorporated. Next came the mini muffin tin. A 24 cupper. I sprayed the cups with cooking spray, pressed the cake mixture into each until level with the top of the pan and baked at 350 degrees for another 8 minutes. I immediately took it out and and inverted the muffin tin. I had no patience at this point. It makes 36 mini muffins, so, I had to do the same thing again using half the pan. Let the cupcakes cool completely on the wire rack.











And from my new favorite book, I adapted a recipe for ganache by cutting it in half.
Cindy Mushet "The Art&Soul of Baking"
Milk Chocolate Ganache
6 ounces milk chocolate chips
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Place the chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat until it just comes to a boil. Make sure to constantly stir the cream, so it doesn't scald. Immediately pour over chocolate and let stand 1 minute, covered with a dish towel, or uncovered. Gently whisk until the ganache is smooth and all of the chocolate is melted. Let the ganache sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Dip the top of the mini cupcakes into the ganache and place bottom side down back on the cooling rack to set up. If you really want to make them cute, put a chocolate chip onto the center of each cupcake. I love mistakes sometimes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment